Why Hit Points?
Yes, I've been crap and not keeping up with this site, but work has been busy and so has life.
So, I'll return with a quick discussion on "Why we have hit points"
It builds dramatic tension
When an action or result is resolved in one action (say, Did I hit you?), then the anticipation is quickly payed off. The question can (could) be quickly resolved by comparing stats and numbers, putting it into a machine and asking it "Who won".
But that misses the point.
With every round, as you reduce the (unknown) resource of the antagonist and they reduce your known resource the question "Will they die first or will I" remains unanswered.
It increases the tension, builds anticipation until, finally and suddenly the questions is dramatically resolved and you are left asking "Was the price I paid for this worth it".
If you knew that in this fight you were to lose 45hps out of 70, and that 2 people would die out of your 5 man party - then, well thats just a cost/benefit calculation.
But, if you have just lost 2 people, and down to 30hp's the question is "Do I cut and run, or escalate the stakes higher?"
Which is why bidding and raising the stakes is the same (or linked) to sacraficing hit points/Power/people.
Make sense? I think I need to come back to this at a later date...
So, I'll return with a quick discussion on "Why we have hit points"
It builds dramatic tension
When an action or result is resolved in one action (say, Did I hit you?), then the anticipation is quickly payed off. The question can (could) be quickly resolved by comparing stats and numbers, putting it into a machine and asking it "Who won".
But that misses the point.
With every round, as you reduce the (unknown) resource of the antagonist and they reduce your known resource the question "Will they die first or will I" remains unanswered.
It increases the tension, builds anticipation until, finally and suddenly the questions is dramatically resolved and you are left asking "Was the price I paid for this worth it".
If you knew that in this fight you were to lose 45hps out of 70, and that 2 people would die out of your 5 man party - then, well thats just a cost/benefit calculation.
But, if you have just lost 2 people, and down to 30hp's the question is "Do I cut and run, or escalate the stakes higher?"
Which is why bidding and raising the stakes is the same (or linked) to sacraficing hit points/Power/people.
Make sense? I think I need to come back to this at a later date...

1 Comments:
I hate to defend a hastly written post, but I think you may have missed the thrust of my argument.
That is, this 'gambling' feature is what is good about Hit Points, and why they are so popular and widely used.
You have pointed out what is worst about Hit Points, but I counsal against throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
All that said, thanks for posting - it's appreciated.
Oh, and before I go, Dogs in the Vineyard, and poker, are what lead me to the conclusion as to why having hit points is popular and so very often works.
Gamism and Gambling share many many traits, one of them is escalating stakes with an uncertain return.
Post a Comment
<< Home